More details

Orange FlowerResidency
You not required to be a resident of New Hampshire in order to be legally married in the state.

Filing Intentions
Couples wishing to marry in New Hampshire must appear together at the town clerk’s office, as both signatures are required. Exceptions are made for members of the armed forces. All couples will be required to pay a marriage license fee of $45.

Documents Required
The Applicants will need:
• Proof of age (e.g. driver's license, passport, or certified birth certificate).
• If any applicant is widowed, they will need to supply a certified copy of a death certificate of the former spouse.
• If any applicant is divorced, they will need to supply a certified copy of the divorce decree.
• If any applicant(s)'s marriage was annulled, they will need to supply a certified copy of the annulment decree.

License Period
The marriage license issued by the clerk’s office will be valid immediately and expires after ninety (90) days.

ThreadAge Requirements
• No male below the age of 14 years and no female below the age of 13 can be married.
• Applicants who have reached the age of 18 can marry without parental consent.
• A female between the ages of 13 and 17 years and a male between the ages of 14 and 17 years can be married if a parent or guardian applies in writing to a Justice of the Superior Court, or to the Judge of Probate of the county in which one of them resides, for permission to contract such marriage.
• No waiver shall be granted to persons below 18 years if both parties are nonresidents.

Who May Officiate
Marriage and civil unions may be solemnized by a Justice of the Peace as commissioned in the state; by any minister of the gospel in the state who has been ordained according to the usage of his or her denomination, resides in the state, and is in regular standing with the denomination; by any clergy who is not ordained but is engaged in the service of the religious body to which he or she belongs, resides in the state, after being licensed therefor by the secretary of state; within his or her parish, by any minister residing out of the state, but having a pastoral charge wholly or partly in this state; by judges of the United States appointed pursuant to Article III of the United States Constitution, by bankruptcy judges appointed pursuant to Article I of the United States Constitution, or by United States magistrate judges appointed pursuant to federal law.

Dog PhotoOther Info
• Marriage is not permitted in NH between people who are related by blood as first cousins or in any more direct lineage.
• Persons cohabiting and acknowledging each other as husband and wife, and generally reputed to be such, for the period of 3 years, and until the decease of one of them, shall thereafter be deemed to have been legally married.
• Where the parents of children born before marriage afterwards intermarry, and recognize such children as their own, such children shall be legitimate and shall inherit equally with their other children under the statute of distribution.
• After the marriage or civil union ceremony is performed, the officiant will return the certificate to the city/town clerk of issuance. The Applicants will then need to contact the city/town clerk of issuance to obtain a certified copy of the certificate for a fee. The certified copy cannot be issued until the clerk has in his/her possession the completed copy of the certificate from the officiant. Permit adequate time (approximately two weeks) for this to take place before requesting this service.